The IMS Pagoda

Evolution of the Pagoda

The first wooden Pagoda was built in 1913. It was torn down the day after the race in 1925.
After the first Pagoda was torn down, it was replaced by a second wooden one that was finished before the 1926 race.
The second Pagoda was replaced by a tall, steel and glass structure that stood until 1998.
The current Pagoda has modern facilities for race control, timing and scoring and radio broadcast booths.

Highlights in IMS History

A.J. Foyt became the first driver to win the Indianapolis 500 4 times (1961, 1964, 1967, and 1977).
Janet Guthrie became the first female to qualify for the Indianapolis 500 on May 22, 1977.
Brickyard Crossing, an 18-hole championship-caliber golf course, opened to the public. 4 of the holes are located within the infield at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
The inaugural NASCAR Brickyard 400 race was won by Jeff Gordon on August 6, 1994.
Arie Luyendyk established the one-lap qualifying record of 237.498 mph and the four-lap record of 236.986.
Buddy Lazier won the race and became the first driver to win the Indianapolis 500 under the Indy Racing League flag.
Marked the
100th Anniversary
of the first
Indianapolis 500.
Hear what historian Donald Davidson has to say about the IMS Pagoda.